Here’s the question we’re mulling at The Firm today:
Name a movie that doesn’t include a love story even as a secondary plotline. Children’s movies not allowed.
I gotta tell you – there are a scant few. And we debated over what constitutes a “love story” – is it just romance, or is it filial piety or love of country too? For our definition, we categorize a love story as a plotline OR even significant scenes that obviously depict true ROMANCE of any kind (affection is different and doesn’t count).
Here is the list I came up with:
- Apocalypse Now
- Caine Mutiny
- Charlie & The Chocolate Factory
- A Christmas Story (I don’t count the parents showing affection to each other as being a love story)
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind
- Crimson Tide (see “A Christmas Story”)
- Das Boot
- Little Miss Sunshine
- One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (although there are a few scenes of the mental patients with girls, there’s no love there that I remember)
- The Passion of Joan of Arc (despite the title, it’s a silent movie about her trial, conviction and death)
- Silence of the Lambs
- Taking of Pelham 123
- Terminator 2 (#1 did have a love story and I have scraped #3 from my mind because it was so bad, so I don’t recall, but I’m pretty sure #2 was romance free…)
- Waiting for Guffman
- Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Please comment to correct me if I’m wrong, feel free to post this question on your own blog, and add any movies in comments as well!
If you liked that post, read on...
Movie: The Polar Express on December 21st, 2005
Jaynee at LOTR Trilogy on December 16th, 2003
In a Plum Plum Plum! on September 14th, 2006
I'm Dazed and Confused Myself on October 10th, 2004