Is that spelled right? I can’t tell. The title has a tricky spelling that I’m not used to – it’s not like I use the word in my daily conversations. “Look at this labyrinth of paperwork I need to sift through!” See?
Anyway, this abominable movie, which came out in 1986, is decidedly dated not only in terms of acting and plot, but in terms of special effects. Oh my word – this movie is worth renting if only to see the incredibly amateurish “special” effects.
How bad was this movie – let me count the ways.
1) Jennifer Connolly – before she wow’d us with her understated performance in “A Beautiful Mind” she over-acted her way through the opening ten minutes of this dud of a movie.
2) Before launching into some of the most avant-garde music he ever wrote in his entire career (with Tin Machine), David Bowie obviously wrote the soundtrack for this just for the paycheck. Atrociously bad.
3) Jim Henson – he directed this thing. Bad, Jim. Just BAD. Even worse? George Lucas executive produced it.
4) Green screens were not their friend. In particular, there is a scene when Connolly’s character comes across The Fire Gang (according to Wikipedia) who sing a song which is completely unintelligible, but in addition to that the green screen effect is so bad that all the people have these *huge* black outlines around themselves.
5) Puppetry – has improved greatly since 1986. Sure, the worm was cute at the beginning of the movie, but for the most part the puppets were more distracting than interesting.
6) The DVD is badly synched. The mouths and the sound move at different times. Nice.
I’m gonna stop. To be honest, I could go on and on. But I won’t since this is one of Ace’s most favorite movies of all time.
As I told him, “Xanadu” is one of my favorites of all time, but I know full and well that it’s craptastic. “Labyrinth?” Makes “Xanadu” look like “The Sound of Music.”
If you liked that post, read on...
A GREAT Review of Star Wars - Attack of the Clones on May 20th, 2002
Movie: The Motorcycle Diaries on July 9th, 2005
"Purple Rain?" Absolutely! on October 24th, 2007
Movie: Feast on January 4th, 2007