Ready for a new floorplan to critique? This one so different from the original stock plan that I’m calling this one completely original at this point. In fact, if I posted the original plan you’d probably think I didn’t use it at all as a starting point.
This house is 3718 sq ft. The smallest plan I’ve done yet, but still 118 sq ft too big. However, this floorplan has some things that the others didn’t have:
1) The addition of a small gym room. Last night we realized that we’d like to have a small room on the first floor for three pieces of gym equipment: treadmill, elliptical trainer, recumbent bike. Put a mounted TV in there and some weights and you have a room where the whole family can work out together.
2) No garage at all. We’ve opted to go without a garage and plot the house so that we can build a two-car detached garage at a later date. Looking at the first floor, all groceries will have to be brought in via the front door, just like we do now. Since we plan on having a covered front porch, we’ll be able to unload all the groceries onto the porch and then take them into the house. We may do a porte cochere off the side of the house to allow for additional coverage in inclement weather.
3) Laundry in upstairs hall bath. The kids will share a hall bath, and the laundry will be located in there.
4) No bathtub in the master bath. We just don’t need it, and I don’t care about resale at this point. So we’re going with two showers, two sinks, a toilet and a linen closet.
5) Playroom/Guest bedroom WILL have windows on the back wall – I just forgot to put them in there. But two windows will be on that long wall for ample sunlight.
If you liked that post, read on...
Modified Plans on February 11th, 2006
The Floor Plan - Second Floor on May 16th, 2008
An Architect's Eye on April 14th, 2012
More House Talk on March 22nd, 2011