The photographer from the newspaper was at our house last night, taking pictures of our family for a couple hours. CootieGirl was in a good mood, since she got to have a bath (which she loves). The photographer (Mia) asked some questions as she was taking pictures, but basically let us just do our thing. CootieGirl was tired (and sick), so I tried to cuddle her to sleep and because the lights were on for Mia to take pictures, CootieGirl was all about playing instead of sleeping. She was so cute. What should have taken 10 minutes took more like 40 because CootieGirl just refused to pass out. Then, suddenly, in about 15 seconds, she went from wide awake to passed out. I mean REALLY passed out. Mia took a couple shots of me and my sleeping child, and then I put her in the crib (CootieGirl, not Mia) and we went back downstairs.

At that point I figured Mia would leave, but instead she asked me “What do you do once the baby is in bed?” I didn’t have the heart to tell her, “Absolutely nothing,” which is the truth. So I said that after CootieGirl is in bed it’s time for the pets to get some attention, whether it’s snuggling with the kitties or playing with Cooper. I got out one of Cooper’s toys and we started playing a bit so Mia could take a few last shots. Then Mia asked if she could come back in the morning. To see our morning routine.

Arg!! My morning routine is that I slug my way out of bed, barely alive, and spend 30 minutes showering, dressing and putting on makeup while watching Denis take care of the baby. But again, it’s a Mom’s story, so I agreed to let her come in this morning.

Cut to: 4 a.m.

CootieGirl wakes up with a miserable cough. The kind that forces full body coughs every 15-20 seconds. But she never fully woke up – never cried. Just coughed. Over and over again. Denis brought her in our room and we took turns holding her and trying to keep her calm and quiet. At about 5 a.m. she finally started crying, miserable and tired. I took her back in her room after Denis gave her some meds and we cuddled in the rocker for a few minutes. Once the medicine kicked in she fell fast asleep and I was able to put her in her crib.

At 5:20 or so I crept back into bed, where I fell asleep for another 30 minutes before the alarm went off. I rushed into the shower so I could be out and dressed by the time Mia arrived. At 6:15 a.m. I was showered and dressed, and had cleaned up our bedroom enough that it was still messy but somewhat presentable. Then Mia came upstairs and followed me through the morning ritual which is something Denis usually does, and I only occasionally do. I changed her diaper, brought her into our bed and gave her a bottle, and played with her. The poor thing was so tired that she almost fell asleep while drinking her bottle. Then Mia took pictures of me putting on my makeup while Denis held CootieGirl.

Fortunately, despite being exhausted and having someone there, I was able to leave on time, complete with the new-era Norman Rockwell shot of Denis and CootieGirl waving to me as I pulled out of the driveway.

It was weird having a photographer there. I don’t know how those reality tv show people do it day in and day out. It would drive me nuts.

My Signature

If you liked that post, read on...

I Made It! on January 24th, 2005

And Another Thing on December 1st, 2004

Productive Night on December 27th, 2007

Anderson Cooper on April 28th, 2005

One comment

Comments are closed.