Okay, time for a brain dump post! It’s been a week since I posted anything of substance, so here we go.
1) Is Facebook the death of blogging? I know a lot of people think so, and I have to admit that my lack of posting is mainly due to the fact that 50% of the people that read this blog already know me on Facebook, and so they already know what’s going on in my life. However, there are 50% of my readers who are strangers and don’t know me in real life, so it’s a constant reminder that I need to write about life HERE as well as on Facebook.
2) So apparently Twitter was broken yesterday? It shows you how much I use it (read: hardly ever). I mainly only use it for my other site (which shall remain nameless here), and even then only sporadically. I’m not much of a Twitter fan, although I did use Tweetdeck during the recent Comic-Con to read up on the “Chuck” panel and a few other TV-related things.
3) I’ve been working on the second phase of a freelance project. I originally understood that the woman merely wanted me to convert a scanned document into a plain, basic Word document with everything all cleaned up and reformatted. Found out after the fact that what she REALLY wants is to create a eBook – using Adobe InDesign. But they didn’t tell me that until I was done with the Word document. So I’m about halfway through moving the Word document into InDesign and formatting it all over again.
4) I had an interview early last week with a church in Pineville for a part-time position helping out with things like weekly bulletins, overhead slides, etc. I am decidedly overqualified, so I presume I will NOT be getting that job since they probably think they can’t pay me enough (which may be true).
5) I had a phone interview this week with another church – this one in Charlotte. This would be full-time and when I got off the phone I was VERY excited about the opportunity and hope I get a call about a second interview. The job is a great mix of computer skills (primarily Adobe InDesign) and working directly with the church’s congregation and community. So I REALLY hope I get a call back.
6) I got a lead on a work-at-home job and am going through the motions to get signed on. The good news is, if I get the church job, I’ll STILL be able to do the WAH job during off-hours. The other good news? Work wouldn’t start until the kids start school, so if I’m NOT working a full-time job by the time they start school, I’ll have this to work on during school hours. The final good news? It’s steady, constant work – rather than flighty freelancing. I went 3-4 weeks with no freelance work at all. This WAH job would give me a regular weekly paycheck.
7) Speaking of school – it starts in TWO WEEKS! We got their teacher assignments last week. I’m a bit sad that CootieBoy didn’t get CootieGirl’s kindergarten teacher, but I spoke to someone who knows CB’s teacher and had nothing but praise. Apparently she is VERY boy-friendly in her classroom and gears it specifically toward that kind of rambunctious behavior. Only bad thing? Pet tarantula for the class. EWWWWWWW. I guess I won’t be visiting THAT classroom any time soon!! I’ve heard nothing about CG’s teacher and can only hope that it’s one that CG will like.
8. I’m very happy with the winner of SYTYCD last night. I had hoped the final two would be Brandon and Janine, knowing at that point I’d be happy with whichever one won. I can’t wait for the tour to hit Charlotte – I already have my ticket and plan on having a fully-charged camera this time around (my batteries died last year before we were even halfway through the show!).
9) Movies I’ve seen lately: “Traitor” with Don Cheadle (4 stars out of 5), “The Nanny Diaries” with Scarlet Johansson and Laura Linney (2 1/2 stars out of 5), “Moll Flanders” with Robin Penn and Morgan Freeman (3 out of 5), and “Duma” (2 out of 5). I’m sure there’s more, but that’s all I can think of right now.
Okay, that’s it. I need to go fold laundry and then hit the grocery store with the kids. They want to go to the pool and I told them we wouldn’t be going until I get the laundry and grocery trip done.
If you liked that post, read on...
The Final Two on May 11th, 2008
So Much For That on April 26th, 2007
Ready For The Weekend on August 10th, 2007
Update on Bus Route on April 1st, 2004